You are here
Donna Brazile: Ingredients of Effective Leadership
Posted by Lori Ayre on June 28, 2012
I wasn't able to attend the Urban Library Council's Annual Forum but I was happy to read the highlights in their newsletters. ULC reported that political commentator, Donna Brazile, launched the Forum with a rousing call to arms, " This is a moment for libraries to soar and shine...This is a moment when leaders emerge" and then Brazile proceeded to describe key ingredients to effective leadership:
- Lead with the core values of honesty and integrity.
- More is caught than taught: people watch and learn from what you do.
- Inspire a shared vision: without a mental picture of a roadmap, people get confused.
- Communicate where you're going and how you'll get there.
- Let go in order to lead well; enable others to act and lead.
- Lead with an attitude of gratitude and humility.
- Good leaders collaborate.
- Inspire others to do their best, and back them up and reward them for doing a good job.
Well said, Donna! And thanks for sharing this, ULC, for those of us who missed the Forum. I won't miss it next year!