You are here
Open Data Librarian Training Series [Wednesdays]
This 5-week webinar series provides a solid introduction to the tools and tasks of data librarianship in a public library. We'll cover finding, managing, visualizing, and publishing data in the library and the community. This series has webinar and live office hours on WEDNESDAYS from 12pm PST to 2pm PST [3pm EST to 5pm EST].
Data increasingly powers the connected world around us and librarians are uniquely qualified to help their patrons find, manage, and use data for a wide variety of purposes. Our Open Data Librarian Training series helps transform library staff into digitally-savvy data librarians.
This training series consists of five webinars covering basic data librarian topics and tools:
- Week 1: Finding Open Data - participants will learn about online data catalogs and search for data about their community in federal, state, local, and corporate data catalogs.
- Week 2: Cleaning Messy Data With OpenRefine - participants will learn how to easily clean "messy" data from third parties using the free OpenRefine data management tool.
- Week 3: Basic Data Visualization With Google Sheets and Charts - participants will learn how to use charts and graphs to turn boring reports into compelling visual stories.
- Week 4: Mapping Community Resources With Google Maps and OpenStreetMap - participants will learn how to create maps of local community resources and how to share those maps in the community.
- Week 5: Managing and Publishing Local and Open Data - participants will learn how to publish their library or government agency's data on their website or a public data catalog, as well as important considerations about data publishing.
Each webinar is followed by a 1-hour "open lab" session where the instructor will be available for questions and participants can share their data projects. A group email list is also provided.
This series has webinar and live office hours on WEDNESDAYS from 12pm PST to 2pm PST [3pm EST to 5pm PST].
May 13th, 2020 12:00 PM to June 10th, 2020 2:00 PM