Multnomah County was suffering from overcrowding. There were too many books for the shelves despite their aggressive weeding protocols. To assist in finding solutions, Lori Ayre conducted a comprehensive materials handling and collection management analysis resulting in multiple recommendations falling into six categories:
- Automate the sort and delivery operations
- Create an off-site, just-in-time storage and retrieval system that is integrated with the sort operation.
- Add automated materials handling systems (sorters and self-service check-in) at the Central and regional libraries.
- Add stand-alone bookdrops and expand the size of the Delivery team.
- Make policy and procedures changes
- Expand self-service options.